PHILADELPHIA, April 4, 2012 — State Senator Vincent Hughes (D-Phila./Montgomery) will join with the Pennsylvania Higher Education Foundation, The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency, The Mayor’s Office of Education and The College Access Center to present the Show Me the Money: Road Map to Financial Aid for College Conference.
This event, focused on helping parents and students navigate the path to financial aid for college, will take place on Thursday, April 12 from 5 to 8 p.m. at the High School of the Future, located at 4021 Parkside Avenue.
“The benefits of higher education are significant, as it is becoming more and more important in accessing the fields and jobs with the most opportunity for advancement and rewards,” Hughes said. “A college education opens doors and creates opportunities. A college graduate stands to earn over $1 million dollars more in a lifetime than someone with a high school degree. Easing the pathway from high school to college will create a better educated workforce and help make Philadelphia a more competitive and desirable place to live, work and raise a family.”
Show Me the Money provides a comprehensive forum for parents and students to gain invaluable knowledge and assistance with navigating the college entrance process.
Attendees are encouraged to bring 1040’s, W2’s, 1099’s and other financial information and experts will be on hand to assist with income tax preparation for financial aid filing.
Other services will include electronic FAFSA filing, scholarship searches, on-site counseling from financial aid officers, college admission application assistance, essay writing clinics, a resource fair and much more.
Workshop topics include:
- Financing Your Future: Understanding Federal and State Financial Aid — learn how successfully completing both FAFSA and PHEAA applications can increase your chances of receiving maximum aid and benefits;
- Hidden Treasures: Finding Grants and Scholarships to Fund You Education — learn how to dig up the gold mine of grants and scholarships;
- Operation Preparation: The Keys to the SAT’s — learn how to navigate your way through the numerous and sometimes complex components of the SAT process;
- Pay to Win: Maximize Your College Education with Minimum Debt — learn how to calculate the cost of a quality education without breaking the bank;
- Tap Those Apps: Successfully Completing a College Application — learn how to look good on paper and increase your chances to receiving multiple acceptance letters; and
- The Write Stuff: Turning a Cool Story into Cold Cash — learn how to write a compelling college and scholarship essay that leaves a positive and lasting impression.
All activities are free and open to the public. For more information about Show Me the Money and other outreach activities call (215) 879-7777.